Rivers Inlet

We have decided to change, slightly, the way we write this site up. We are going to go over to writing it in the first person, and we will each write some stuff. We will let you know who is writing by the header.


Duncanby Landing is a "full facility" marina - in that it has a restaurant, a grocery and a liquor store as well as fuel, water and power. We decided to have a supper at the Landing, and were therefore introduced to our first taste of Rivers Inlet Life.

The restaurant has a grand total of about 8 tables, 4 of which are actually the same size and can be pulled together to make a large "banquet" table. Everything else is mismatched, and there is no apology for it. It is decorated with bits and pieces from the various abandon canneries. Including a large wood stove that is not hooked up, but used as a flower pot holder.

You have to let the kitchen know before 5 pm if you want the special - other wise you eat "al la carte", which gives you one choice each in Beef, Fish or Stew.

Anyway, we decided to have dinner at the "Restaurant". It was a blast. The owner, Ken, oversaw the guests (this consisted of sitting at your table and having a drink) and then was the after dinner entertainment - telling stories and singing. One of the songs was about being unable to keep cooks, and how the "Golden Sands" (a commercial fishing boat owned by a friend of his) kept stealing them away. Apparently that also included the cook who was Ken's girl. Somehow these two guys are still friends! In civilization the blood would have been flowing - but up here everyone just laughed - including Ken and his pal from the Golden Sands.

While we were having dinner we also met Robin & Sarah - the old caretakers of Rivers Lodge. They were there with Robin's parents, Richard & Sheila, and Sarah's family who were all visiting from England. We got a quick overview of the area and then it was time to go back to Gandalf.

We stayed at Duncanby another day, just to loaf, then set off for Sleepy Bay.

We got into the outer part of Sleepy Bay in mid-afternoon. A young fellow came out in a small boat and directed us to a standing boom to tie up until the owner, Pat, could come out to see us. Pat came out a little later in evening and explained that while the guests were in, she would be very busy. She arranged for a small boat with an 8hp outboard to be put at our disposal.

For the next ten days, we stayed moored in the outer bay. We did get to sneak in for a meeting with Pat and her son Casey (our greeter when we arrived), and to get a quick tour of the lodge and to meet some of the staff. Casey arranged for us to use a small gas generator so we did not even have to motor Gandalf around to charge up. We got fishing licenses and used the little power boat to go fishing every day.

On September 15 the last batch of guests left, and Casey directed us to bring Gandalf into the inner bay where the lodge is located.

For the next couple of weeks we worked helping Casey put the lodge in shape for the winter. Then, about October 10th, Casey took off in the big lodge boat - Sports Paige - and we were alone at the lodge.

Or not.

We here quickly absorbed into the "winter caretaker" culture, with just a slight reserve. We later found out that not that many "new" caretakers make it through their fist winter, and many who do, did not return the following season. We had yet to pass the test of time.

So we don't have to digress during this narrative for explanations, we have prepared a Power Point Show that introduces this area to you. This link will open a new window and download the presentation. Just close the window when you have finished viewing it, and you will be back here.

Our New Home